Fear Of The Sleepers

The US' secret service had their eyes on deadly pilot Mohammed Atta for a long time already

by Christian Elflein; Michael Hilbig; Josef Hufelschulte and C. Thalmann.
Focus [a German magazine]
September 24, 2001
[original in German below, translated into English by AlAn]

A man with obvious good qualities. Friendly to his neighbours in Hamburg-Harburg, a diligent student, never in trouble with the police.

For almost two weeks now the German and American security authorities have been stating again and again that under his cover of a well-behaved civilian, terror pilot Mohammed Atta, 33, was, with his accomplices in the Hanse city, preparing himself for the mass-murderous attack on the New York World Trade Center (WTC).

No one, it's said apologetically, could have seen through this apparently honest man.

The official speak about a monster that wasn't recognized in time may well have partly lost its validity.

From January up to May 2000 Mohammed Atta was under surveillance by the American secret service.

US-agents followed him mainly in the area around Frankfurt am Main and noted that Atta bought largish quantities of chemicals for the possible production of explosives from numerous drugstores and pharmacies. Their German counterparts were not informed.

The US 'shadowmen' also withheld another important detail from the dark previous life of the deadly pilot from their German partner services: Atta apparently participated in a bomb attack on a bus in Israel. This nugget of information that the authorities had, is now revealed by the US newsmagazine 'Newsweek'. In the winter of 2000 the former Hamburg student apparently spied out a navy base in Norfolk, Virginia.

Even so, no spotlights were turned on Atta. He was even given a 'clean bill of health'(1) as shown by internal documents from the Bundeskriminalamt (BKA)[Federal Crime Office], which were made available to Focus.

On May 18, 2000 the US embassy in Berlin gave the Egyptian a visa. That was also the beginning of his momentous pilot training in Florida. Strange that the visa application and granting it happened in the period when the US secret service was still observing the suspicious buying of chemicals by the person concerned. Chief Federal Prosecutor (Generalbundesanwalt) Kay Nehm said last Friday that Attas' Hamburg clan started planning the WTC attack "in 1999 at the latest".

Someone from the [German] intelligence service [told] Focus: "We can no longer exclude the possibility that the Americans wanted to keep an eye on Atta after his entry in the USA."

Until now this is [only] speculation. But on the other hand German security experts are still stunned about the speed with which the US federal police, FBI, could present the conspirative ties of Atta and his presumed Hamburg accomplices Marwan Al-Shehi, 23, and Ziad Jarrah, 26.

"As [if all it needed was] a push on a button", an insider says, "As if the Americans for a long time already had loads of info on their computers about the culprits."

It was indeed the Americans who had the first exclusive insight. Chief Federal Prosecutor Kay Nehm and the BKA, who have now issued a warrant for the arrest of Attas' apparently surviving accomplices Ramzi Binalshibh, 29, and Said Bahaji, 26, base themselves mainly on a thick FBI file. The German intelligence services, concerned about a speedy risk analysis, also had to rely initally mainly on US sources.

Based [on information obtained from] US consulates and US military sections the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) [Federal Intelligence Service] warns "that there may be 30 plans for further attacks ready to be executed." The events of Sept 11 were "only part of a massive terrorist operation", it's said in a telex sent by the BKA to all German security institutions.

Dark forecasts. "In the BND's estimation", the telex continues, there are enough "trained people around to launch more terrorist activitities."

Horror-analyses like these are nerve-racking. The tone of the daily security meeting, beginning at 12 o'clock, of the federal government is sharpening. The head of the Chancellors' Office [Kanzleramtschef] Frank-Walter Steinmeier more or less told off junior minister of Internal Affairs Claus Henning for being unable to implement improved checks of airport personnel quick enough.

Newsflashes heat up the emotions even more. Pure horror, when news came in of Attas' visit to the nuclear power station of Stade. The next day the BND cabled that somewhere in Germany there were 2 Bosnians, trained in Aghani camps, roaming about carrying 24 kilo of explosives. Blunt files about impending attacks with biological and chemical weapons and oppressive reports about the desperate state of disaster control in Germany also didn't lighten the mood.

An insider from the security world told Focus: "We're on a race against time. The deadline is the moment when the Americans hit back. By then we must know everything about the radical Islamic underground. And there's damned little we know."

The federal government acknowledges in that way a kind of emergency situation that goes above the law. The last few weeks, consciously ignoring existing regulations, databanks that are normally kept well apart are linked and mined for clues hinting at possible terrorists. Experts raided the Central Register for Foreigners, the information system (Nadis) of the intelligence services and the police computer network Inpol for data about so far unknown 'sleepers'.

NordRhein-Westfalens' Minister for Internal Affairs Fritz Behrens estimates there are around 100 Muslim criminals, enjoying a perfect civilian identity. His colleague in Berlin has his eyes set at the moment on 50 extremely dangerous Muslims who apparently would be prepared to commit suicide attacks. At least their names and adresses are known.

Last monday BKA-internal security boss Manfred Klink in a confidential text sent out the first "Criteria Catalogue" for the investigation of Muslim "sleepers". "Distinguishing features of the culprits" mentioned in the telex are amongst others: "Presumably no outwardly visible fundamentalistic manner and attitude/studying or having studied technical subjects/no children of their own/mentally mobile/stress resistant/multilingual/not conspicious in the general criminal field/active traveller/financially independent."

Precise tips are meanwhile filling this scheme. It happened in Bayern: A taxidriver informed the police he drove in early April 2000 three Afghanis from Fürth to Mohammed Atta in Hamburg. Atta paid the 1300 Mark bill [around $ 650] without batting an eyelid.

Wednesday night the police checked out the suspicious passengers. Outcome: One of them, 44, trained as a pilot in Afghansistan. His 33 year old brother, who has had military training, had just come back from the USA. The video tapes and aviation papers and documents that were confiscated in their house are currently under scrutiny.

On Thursday, a day after the raid in Fürth, the top people of the Bayerischen Rettungsverbände ['Rescue Organisations in Bayern'] met for a crisis meeting in Munich at the ministery for Internal Affairs (of Bayern). There was only one theme: FBI information about a possibly massive danger to the upcoming 'Oktoberfest'. Emergency services, the explosive advice stated, could be employed as "terrorist means".

To put it bluntly : the US federal police warned against attackers who under their cover as first aid worker or firefighter might be able, possibly using the blue flashing lights (AB: on ambulance or firefighters' vehicle) to get to restricted areas.

The Red Cross then announced the highest security level - and it's even valid for their own transport area. The urgent message states: "Hijacking possible."

The German cell of the world plotters

The international investigations show it took years to plan the Sept 11 attacks. The suspects who at times lived completely inconspicously in Hamburg prepared for their crime since 1999.

The boss of the Hamburg connection

The Egyptian Mohamed el-Amir Awad Elsayed Atta, 33, opened the terror attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC). Atta is considered to be the 'air-pirate' who steered the Boeing 767 (American Airlines Flight 11) into the northern tower. There have been articles in the American media that say that Atta was involved in a bomb attack on an Israeli bus in 1986. In 1992 he, the Muslim who has been described as polite, intelligent and lovable, appeared in Germany. At the TU [Technical University] Hamburg-Harburg he studied townplanning and finished his course with the dreammark 1.7.

More than once Atta travelled to the Middle East apparently for study reasons. In January 1999 the university made a prayer room available for an Islamic student group. Initiator and spokesman for Islam AG: Atta. In July 2000 Atta took flying lessons in Florida. In December of the same year he trained on a simulator in Miami; especially turning manoeuvres for a Boeing 727. In the next few months he spend some time in Hamburg, but also followed a second flying training in the USA. In May 2001 the Harburg-university took him off their register. In May he rented an appartment in Hollywood, Florida.

On August 28 he booked over the internet his ticket for the terror flight on September 11.

The ticket of one his accomplices was also paid for with Attas' credit card. Six of the in total 19 'air-pirates' gave Attas number (915-815-3004) as their phone number. That's another reason why the US investigators believe the Egyptian had a central role. In a bag belonging to Atta the investigators discovered a Saudi passport, a driving licence and instruction videos for Boeing pilots and a letter written in Arabic. In his will, that may have been written years ago, the technical student from Hamburg, who appeared so tolerant and polite, writes he intends to die a martyr.

The Egyptians' shadow

Marwan Jussuf Mohamed Al-Shehhi was aboard the Boeing 767 (United Airlines flight 175) that hit the second WTC tower. The shy 23 year old with a passport from the UAE was for years inseparable from Atta. He also studied at the TU Hamburg (shipbuilding), lived sometimes in the same house as Atta, was a member of the Islam AG and clocked up flight hours together with Atta in the USA. In the end he lived with Atta in Hollywood and three days before the attack he was seen with Atta in a restaurant. Al-Shehhi ordered rum, the deeply devote Muslim Atta had five wodka-oranges.

The conspirators' restlessness

Ziad Samir Jarrah was on the Boeing 757 (United Airlines flight 93) that crashed near Pittsburgh.

The 26 year old Lebanese followed courses in Greifswald in 1996 and from 1997 till 1999 he studied airplane-construction at the Fachhochschule Hamburg. He sometimes lived with Atta in Hamburg, sometimes with his Turkish girlfriend in Bochum. Last year he suddenly moved to Florida. There he once again met up with Atta and Al-Shehhi.

The survivors of the terror cell

Since Friday Chief Federal Prosecutor Kay Nehm is pursuing 29 year old Yemenite Ranzi Binalshibh and 26 year old German-Moroccan Said Bahaji with a warrant. Both lived at times at Attas' place. Bahaji (married, father of a six month old son) spend some months in the German army and studied electrotechics at Harburg. He and Binalshibh since 1999 were involved in the planning of the attacks.

On the run

SAID BAHAJI, 26, the logistics expert of the group
RAMZI BINALSHIBH, 29, applied in vain for a visa to the US

Died while committing massmurder

MOHAMED ATTA, 33, the central character of the conspirators
MARWAN AL-SHEHHI, 23, Attas' closest pal
ZIAD JARRAH, 26, lived in Greifswald, Hamburg and Bochum

Copyright 2001


Angst Vor Den Schläfern

Der US-Geheimdienst hatte Todesflieger Mohamed Atta schon lange im Visier


Ein Mann mit offenbar guten Eigenschaften. Freundlich zu den Nachbarn in Hamburg-Harburg, fleißig im Studium, nie Ärger mit der Polizei. Unter der Tarnkappe des braven Bürgers, so verkünden es deutsche und amerikanische Sicherheitsbehörden seit knapp zwei Wochen immer wieder, bereitete sich der Terrorflieger Mohamed Atta, 33, mit seinen Komplizen in der Hansestadt auf den massenmörderischen Anschlag gegen das New Yorker World Trade Center (WTC) vor. Niemand, heißt es entschuldigend, habe den vermeintlichen Biedermann durchschauen können.

Diese amtliche Sprachregelung über ein nicht rechtzeitig erkanntes Monster dürfte zum Teil überholt sein.

Mohamed Atta stand von Januar bis Mai 2000 in Deutschland unter Beobachtung des amerikanischen Geheimdienstes. US-Agenten verfolgten ihn hauptsächlich im Großraum Frankfurt/ Main und registrierten, dass Atta in zahlreichen Drogerien und Apotheken größere Mengen Chemikalien zur möglichen Herstellung von Sprengstoff kaufte. Eine Unterrichtung des deutschen Staatsschutzes unterblieb.

Die US-Schattenmänner verschwiegen den deutschen Partnerdiensten offenbar auch ein weiteres wichtiges Detail aus dem dunklen Vorleben des Todespiloten: Vor 15 Jahren, enthüllte jetzt das US-Nachrichtenmagazin "Newsweek" internes Behördenwissen, soll Atta an einem Bombenanschlag auf einen Bus in Israel beteiligt gewesen sein. Im Winter 2000 habe der frühere Hamburger Student vermutlich eine Marinebasis in Norfolk/Virginia ausgespäht.

Trotz alledem blieb Atta unbehelligt. Und bekam sogar noch den Persilschein, wie FOCUS vorliegende interne Dokumente des Bundeskriminalamts (BKA) beweisen.

Am 18. Mai 2000 stellte die US-Botschaft in Berlin dem Ägypter ein Visum aus. Dies war zugleich der Start für seine folgenschwere Pilotenausbildung in Florida. Seltsam, dass Antrag und Erteilung des Visums just in die Zeit fielen, als die Zielperson des US-Geheimdienstes noch bei ihren verdächtigen Chemikalien-käufen beobachtet wurde. Generalbundesanwalt Kay Nehm sagte vergangenen Freitag, dass Attas Hamburger Clan "spätestens seit 1999" an der Planung des WTC-Attentats gearbeitet habe.

Ein Staatsschützer zu FOCUS: "Es ist doch nicht mehr auszuschließen, dass die Amerikaner Atta auch nach seiner Einreise in die USA im Auge behalten wollten."

Bislang ist dies eine Spekulation. Andererseits sind deutsche Sicherheitsexperten nach wie vor verblüfft, mit welcher Geschwindigkeit die US-Bundespolizei FBI dem BKA die höchst konspirativen Verbindungen von Atta und seinen mutmaßlichen Hamburger Mittätern Marwan Al-Shehhi, 23, und Ziad Jarrah, 26, präsentieren konnte. "Wie auf Knopfdruck", sagt ein Insider. "So, als hätten die Amerikaner schon lange vorher eine Menge über die Täter im Datenspeicher gehabt."

Den ersten exklusiven Durchblick hatten in der Tat die Amerikaner. Generalbundesanwalt Kay Nehm und das BKA, die jetzt per Haftbefehl zur öffentlichen Fahndung nach Attas offenbar noch lebenden Hamburger Mittätern Ramzi Binalshibh, 29, und Said Bahaji, 26, aufriefen, stützten sich zunächst auf ein dickes FBI-Dossier. Auch die deutschen Nachrichtendienste, um eine schnelle Gefahrenanalyse bemüht, waren anfangs hauptsächlich auf US-Quellen angewiesen.

Unter Bezug auf US-Konsulate und US-Militärdienststellen warnte der Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) davor, "dass es möglicherweise 30 ausführungsreife Planungen für weitere Anschläge" gebe. Die Aktionen vom 11. September seien "lediglich Teil einer massiven terroristischen Operation gewesen", heißt es in einem vom BKA verbreiteten Fernschreiben an alle deutschen Sicherheitsorgane.

Düstere Prognosen. "Nach Einschätzung des BND", so das Telex weiter, seien genügend "ausgebildete Leute unterwegs, die nach einer gewissen Frist auch wieder terroristische Aktivitäten entfalten könnten".

Horror-Analysen wie diese zerren an den Nerven. In der täglichen Sicherheitskonferenz der Bundesregierung, Beginn 12 Uhr, verschärfte sich der Ton. Kanzleramtschef Frank-Walter Steinmeier rüffelte etwa Innenstaatssekretär Claus Henning Schapper vor versammelter Runde, weil der nicht fix genug bessere Überprüfungen von Flughafenpersonal umsetzen konnte.

Blitzmeldungen heizten die Emotionen weiter an. Blankes Entsetzen, als Nachrichten über Attas angeblichen Besuch im Kernkraftwerk Stade eintrafen. Am Tag danach kabelte der BND, dass zwei in afghanischen Lagern ausgebildete Bosnier mit 24 Kilogramm Sprengstoff irgendwo in Deutschland unterwegs seien. Schonungslose Dossiers über drohende Angriffe mit biologischen und chemischen Waffen sowie beklemmende Berichte über den desolaten Katastrophenschutz in Deutschland (siehe auch Seite 48) drückten zusätzlich aufs Gemüt.

Ein Teilnehmer der Sicherheitslage zu FOCUS: "Wir sind augenblicklich in einem Wettlauf gegen die Zeit. Deadline ist der bevorstehende Vergeltungsschlag der Amerikaner. Bis dahin müssen wir alles über den radikalen islamischen Untergrund in Deutschland wissen. Und wir wissen verdammt wenig."

Die Bundesregierung erkennt darin eine Art übergesetzlichen Notstand. Unter bewusster Missachtung gelten-der Bestimmungen wurden vergangene Woche ansonsten streng voneinander getrennte Dateien nach Hinweisen auf mögliche Attentäter durchforstet: Im Ausländerzentralregister, im Nachrichtendienstlichen Informationssystem (Nadis) der Geheimdienste sowie im Polizei-Computerverbund Inpol starteten Experten eine Daten-Razzia gegen bislang unbekannte "Schläfer".

Zirka 100 dieser muslimischen Gewalttäter, mit perfekter bürgerlicher Identität ausgestattet, soll es in Deutschland geben, schätzte Nordrhein-Westfalens Innenminister Fritz Behrens. Sein Berliner Kollege Ehrhart Körting hat in der Hauptstadt augenblicklich 50 extrem gefährliche Moslems, die offenbar zu Selbstmordattentaten bereit seien, im Visier (siehe auch Seite 36). Zumindest ihre Namen und Adressen sind bekannt.

BKA-Staatsschutzchef Manfred Klink verschickte vergangenen Montag in einem vertraulichen Telex einen ersten "Kriterienkatalog" zur Fahndung nach islamischen "Schläfer"-Agenten. "Tätermerkmale" sind laut Fernschreiben unter anderem: "Vermutlich keine nach außen tretende fundamentalistische Haltung/technische Studienfächer/keine eigenen Kinder/geistig beweglich/stressresistent/mehrsprachig/keine Auffälligkeiten im allgemeinkriminellen Bereich/ rege Reisetätigkeit/finanziell autark."

Präzise Tipps ersetzen indes jedes Raster. So geschehen in Bayern: Ein Taxifahrer berichtete der Polizei, er habe Anfang April 2000 drei Afghanen aus Fürth zu Mohamed Atta nach Hamburg gebracht. Atta habe den Fahrpreis von 1300 Mark anstandslos gezahlt.

Mittwochabend überprüfte die Polizei die verdächtigen Fahrgäste. Resultat: Einer, 44 Jahre alt, ist ein in Afghanistan ausgebildeter Pilot. Sein 33-jähriger Bruder, militärisch geschult, war just aus den USA zurück. In der Wohnung beschlagnahmte Videos und Flugunterlagen werden jetzt ausgewertet.

Am Donnerstag, einen Tag nach der Fürther Razzia, trafen sich die Spitzen der Bayerischen Rettungsverbände zur Krisensitzung im Münchner Innenmi-nisterium. Einziges Thema: FBI-Infor-mationen über eine mögliche massive Gefährdung des bevorstehenden Oktoberfestes. Notdienste, so die brisanten Hinweise, könnten als "terroristische Mittel" eingesetzt werden.

Im Klartext: Die US-Bundespolizei warnte vor möglichen Attentätern, die als getarnte Sanitäter oder Feuerwehrleute, womöglich mit Blaulicht, in gesperrte Bereiche vordringen könnten.

Das Rote Kreuz löste daraufhin die höchste Sicherheitsstufe aus - und die gilt auch für den eigenen Fuhrpark. In einer Eilmeldung heißt es: "Kaperung möglich."

nach einschaetzung des bnd seien weiter genuegend ausgebildete "leute" unterwegs, die nach einer "gewissen frist" auch wieder terroristische aktivitaeten entfallten koennten.

Warnmeldung des BKA


Die internationalen Ermittlungen offenbaren, dass die Attentate vom 11. September seit Jahren vorbereitet wurden. Auch die Tatverdächtigen, die zeitweise vollkommen unauffällig in Hamburg lebten, sollen seit 1999 auf das Verbrechen hingearbeitet haben.

Der Boss der Hamburg-Connection

Der Ägypter Mohamed el-Amir Awad Elsayed Atta, 33, soll die Terrorattacke auf das World Trade Center (WTC) eröffnet haben. Atta gilt als der Luftpirat, der die Boeing 767 (American Airlines Flug 11) in den nördlichen Turm gelenkt hat. Nach amerikanischen Medienberichten war Atta 1986 bei einem Bombenanschlag auf einen israelischen Bus beteiligt. 1992 tauchte der als höflich, intelligent und liebenswert beschriebene Muslim in Deutschland auf. An der TU Hamburg-Harburg studierte er Stadtplanung und legte 1999 sein Diplom mit der Traumnote 1,7 ab. Angeblich zu Studienzwecken reiste Atta mehrfach in den Nahen Osten. Im Januar 1999 stellt die Uni einen Gebetsraum für eine islamische Studentengruppe zur Verfügung. Initiator und Sprecher der Islam AG: Atta. Im Juli 2000 nahm Atta Flugunterricht in Florida. Im Dezember des gleichen Jahres übte er in einem Simulator in Miami insbesondere Wendemanöver mit einer Boeing 727. In den folgenden Monaten soll er einige Zeit in Hamburg verbracht haben, er absolvierte aber auch ein zweites Flugtraining in den USA. Im März 2001 wurde er von der Uni Harburg exmatrikuliert. Im Mai mietete er sich ein Apartment in Hollywood/Florida. Am 28. August buchte er per Internet sein Ticket für den Terrorflug am 11. September. Auch der Flug eines Mittäters wurde mit Attas Visa-Karte bezahlt. Sechs der insgesamt 19 Luftpiraten gaben als ihre Telefonnummer (915-815-3004) den Anschluss Attas an. Auch deshalb glauben die US-Fahnder an eine zentrale Rolle des Ägypters. In einer Tasche Attas entdeckten die Ermittler neben einem saudischen Pass, einem Führerschein und Lehrvideos für Boeing-Piloten einen in Arabisch verfassten Brief. In dem möglicherweise schon vor Jahren verfassten Testament schrieb der vorgeblich so tolerante und höfliche Technikstudent aus Hamburg, er plane seinen Märtyrertod.

Der Schatten des Ägypters

Marwan Jussuf Mohamed Al-Shehhi war an Bord der Boeing 767 (United Airlines Flug 175), die den zweiten Turm des WTC durchbohrte. Der schüchterne 23-Jährige mit einem Pass der Vereinigten Arabischen Emirate war über Jahre mit Atta unzertrennlich verbunden. Auch er studierte an der TU Hamburg (Schiffsbau), wohnte mit Atta zeitweise zusammen, war Mitglied der Islam AG und absolvierte mit Atta Flugstunden in den USA. Mit ihm wohnte er zuletzt in Hollywood und wurde drei Tage vor dem Attentat zusammen mit Atta in einem Restaurant beobachtet. Al-Shehhi bestellte Rum, der streng gläubige Muslim Atta trank fünf Wodka-Orange.

Der Unstete der Verschwörerclique

Ziad Samir Jarrah saß in der Boeing 757 (United Airlines Flug 93), die in der Nähe von Pittsburgh abstürzte. Der 26-jährige Libanese studierte 1996 in Greifswald und von 1997 bis 1999 an der Fachhochschule Hamburg Flugzeugbau. Mal lebte er bei Atta in Hamburg, mal bei seiner türkischen Freundin in Bochum. Im vergangenen Jahr setzte er sich plötzlich nach Florida ab. Dort traf er wieder mit Atta und Al-Shehhi zusammen.

Die Überlebenden der Terrorzelle

Seit vergangenem Freitag jagt Generalbundesanwalt Kay Nehm den 29-jährigen Jemeniten Ramzi Binalshibh und den 26-jährigen Deutschmarokkaner Said Bahaji mit Haftbefehl. Beide sollen zeitweise in Attas Wohnung gelebt haben. Bahaji (verheiratet, Vater eines sechs Monate alten Sohnes) war ein paar Monate bei der Bundeswehr und studierte in Harburg Elektrotechnik. Er und Binalshibh sollen seit 1999 in Attentatsplanungen eingebunden gewesen seien.


SAID BAHAJI, 26, soll der Logistiker der Gruppe gewesen sein

RAMZI BINALSHIBH, 29, beantragte vergeblich ein US-Visum


MOHAMED ATTA, 33, gilt als zentrale Figur der Verschwörer

MARWAN AL-SHEHHI, 23, war Attas enger Vertrauter

ZIAD JARRAH, 26, lebte in Greifswald, Hamburg und Bochum

Copyright 2001

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of criminal justice, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.