Timelines 
Entities 
Forum 
Miscellaneous Sub-Menu
Donate 
Links 
End of Main Menu

Submit a timeline entry
Donate: If you think this site is important, please help us out financially. We need your help!
Email updates

Click here to join: Suggest changes to existing data, add new data to the website, or compile your own timeline. More Info >>

Welcome to the Center for Cooperative Research forum. This forum is intended to enable additional collaboration and facilitate the sharing of information, which is what this site is all about. Any questions / suggestions / criticisms regarding the site in general are also welcome.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1979 - Present Energy Conservation Corps Proposal to Carter/Reagan and Congress
Posted by: BetterFuture (IP Logged)
Date: April 8, 2004 04:48PM

I have posted this info in a number of locations over the last year, still working on my web site to display the few hundred replies from various leaders or others in our society regarding a universial but volunatary National Service System which I now call a Participatory Citizenship System, based on HR 2206-1979.

This legislation would have replaced the male only registration with a challenge to each new generation both male and female at age 17, to consider over the next year their future role as new voting-age citizens, and at 18 indicate any desire in voluntering for community service, including an Energy Conservation Corps or active or reserve military service, or just say no thnak you.

Below is some replies from the last year, but first is a reply from Counsellor to Presdient Reagan Edwin Meese III, to my short article I sent to the first month of the Reagan Adminstration about a loss in faith in government towards dealing with future wars in the Persian Gulf do to our national security need to protect and maintain the flow of oil for our economy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WHITE HOUSE
WASHINGTON
January 27, 1981
Dear Mr. Jesella:

Thank you for your thoughtful message and support. I appreciate having the benefit of your valuable insights on our Nation's future.

As we prepare for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead, it is encouraging to know how much serious thought is given by our citizens to the problems of the day.

During the Reagan Administration, we shall work hard to promote a climate of prosperity, strength, and peace. This will require the creativity, hard work, understanding, and patience of the American people in the months and years to come. Working together we can develop the solutions we need to restore the American dream.

Again, my thanks and warm regards. Sincerely, Edwin Meese III
Counsellor to the President
Mr. Peter P. Jesella

***Above letter is in reply to this article A Loss of Faith.***

Peter P. Jesella --Dec. 4, 1980-- "A Loss of Faith"

I was converted in 1973. Before then, I knew nothing of the energy crisis. At that time- -the Yom Kipper War and the OPEC oil embargo- -I became fully and distressingly aware of the absolute strategic link between oil and the security of the United States.

It pains me to acknowledge that the United States government does not yet truly understand this. I pray- -for all Americans- -that President-elect Reagan will struggle intensely and remain open to any and all solutions towards achieving genuine energy independence for this nation. We as Americans must demand it and support it.

If a person is aware of what is happening, he may actually experience the hurricane force of history as it rips through the evolution of society. The Job of a historian-reporter is to describe these forces and changes when he perceives them taking place.

For others, the task may be to see and explain the implications that unfold in the future through present and past changes.

Society talks of ideals such as space exploration, the Great Society, Project Independence, the New Foundation, the Rapid Deployment Force, but instead lives in a style conducive to more nuclear weapons, international guerrilla warfare, inflation, recession-depression, and a non-operational R.D.F.

What has happened to our ideals? Where has this "Great Society" traveled since reaching the moon? Why is the elevator of life going down rather than up? Who pressed the "down" button? Can you recall when it happened?

For me, my loss of faith occurred in '73. America then suffered a catastrophe, which caused the death of the "Great Society".

This historical force stopped the evolution of America and the realization of the dreams embedded in the United States Constitution. The Yom Kippur War, between Israel and Egypt, the OPEC oil embargo, my experiencing military "red" alerts and gasoline lines at Wright-Patterson A.F.B. made me understand that to "promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity" we would have to declare a crisis of national will to move towards energy independence by focusing on energy efficiency. I was elated to hear, shortly afterwards and when stationed in Japan, about a new ideal called "Project Independence."

As time passed, my faith and trust in America and its form of government began to fade. I had been raised to see the struggle of philosophies in American politics, but was led to believe in the solidarity of the people and government when faced with national emergencies.

The government shattered my faith in our Constitution when it made a sham of the reality of the need for a serious effort at moving this country towards energy independence.

Being drafted out of college and enlisting in the Air Force was a choice that I did not take lightly. However, I realized that to "promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves, and our posterity", my duty was to perform some type of service in defense of the United States.

This duty placed me in a position to experience the impact of the economics of energy on inflation and on the welfare and the national security of America and its Constitution.

The government- -mainly the United States Congress- -in its effort to play petty, spiteful, narrow-minded politics has brought dishonor to this country.

In 1973-74 certain segments of this society had a desire for this country to go to war over our oil dependency. Again in 1979, segments of this society wanted war over Iran due to the attack on the American Embassy and the kidnappings.

Unless Congress regains its honor and responsibility to' the United States Constitution, its procrastination on energy legislation these last seven years will allow this country to drift into war. America soon may face a major oil disruption, for surely it faces continuous increases in the price- -costing billions of dollars- -for this oil.

Who will suffer from these effects? You and I! Demands will be raised for military use of the R.D.F., and people, soldiers, will die. American power will finally be flexing its muscle. But can the R.D.F. do the job and return the flow of oil back to normal? I have my doubts.

This dilemma is real, all too real, unfortunately. With American soldiers dying and American society moving into a depression due to an oil disruption, who will be held accountable for this "treason" to the preamble of the Constitution?

Will Congress in the fever of pitched battle hold itself answerable to its deceit, its failure to generate a real program of energy independence? Not likely.

They will be speaking out on how to handle the present chaos to which they have delivered us, but will not address themselves to the causes that created the problem. They know they are at fault and have always hoped these possibilities would not come to pass.

Our dependence on oil has led already to major stress and tension build-up in the Persian Gulf. These tensions are still growing towards an even larger confrontation of control over oil.

Unless the world can see our drive to overcome our addiction to oil, it will perceive us as addicts ready to steal and fight to keep our habits going.

Already at least thirteen Americans have died in preparation for this war over energy. A C-141 in the first set of combat exercises for the R.D.F. crashed as it was coming in for a landing in Egypt.

Two years ago President Carter declared energy to be "the moral equivalent of war." I am afraid that in two years, if we do not declare war on energy dependence, we- -this country-will be fighting to defend our oil interests in the Persian Gulf.

Anybody who realized the importance of the Strait of Hormuz to the steady flow of Persian crude can realize the impact on this country if the strait were to be closed down. Iraq was hours away from rapidly deploying forces by helicopter from the kingdom of Oman against three Iranian islands in the Strait of Hormuz.

This attack most likely would have caused major injury to the economy of the Western World.

Has the Congress spoken out on the consequences of this occurrence? Not to my knowledge! Congressman Mineta is aware of my concern, but at this writing has not informed me in detail of what, how, and why this incident happened.

My only source is a small article that was printed on Oct. 6 in The San Jose Mercury-News. Unfortunately, when certain deadly things come close to happening, it seems safer for the media to stop their coverage of a touchy topic.

Our American strength is based on military and economic power, but both need energy to function properly. Further more, the spirit of the American public is also based on energy. The energy of willpower, hope, and faith. This energy has driven this country to its greatness these last 200 years.

My faith in government has been fading, but I still have moments of hope. Hope that maybe, yes, maybe, others will hear my cry in the wind. There still is time. I hope that responsible leaders in this society will find the willpower to speak out.

People may say I am a malcontent, a complainer, a fretter. I can only pray that they are correct, because anybody who comprehends the effects of war will stand up and shout, "Not for this country!" Yes, I am an agitator, a rabble-rouser, and instigator: an instigator for peace who hears "The Winds of War" moving towards America.

To remain idle only feeds the inexorable movement towards this confrontation.
November 4th, America declared it wants a change for the better. People want action, real action, action that will move society forward into a healthier world.

The people are hungry for movement, for programs, for a peaceful existence. The new administration speaks about a better world, through faith and hope, which fills me with joy and the expectation that these veils of deceit will be lifted from the public and government, again will move this wonderful country towards greatness.

I do not know what form of president- Reagan will be, but I would like to believe, feel, and hope that he could return this faith to me.

American history in its evolution has grown to bring into existence a society, "A Great Society," that advertises proudly the qualities and faults of its philosophy which are found in the preamble of the United States Constitution.

Let us work together to build a new foundation based on energy independence by focusing on energy efficiency, before more American youth again must die for their country. Lately, I hear the voice of Lech Walesa saying, "Yes, even in America it can happen!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Teresa Heinz Kerry & Senator Kerry, Elizabeth & Senator Edwards
Copies also given to: Gov. Dean, Gen. Clark & Senator Lieberman

Wake Up the Ethics of Responsibility - Create a new Federal Law in 2004!!!

Copy Hand Given To Democratic Presidential Candidates listed:
2004 – Replace Selective Service System -> Participatory Citizenship Internet Network
This legislative proposal below would be revised for the 21st Century needs and conditions.

Challenge Congressional representatives to a new bill towards Participatory Citizenship!

www.USAFreedomCorps.gov - Example of Federal Internet Portal Site.

Humble suggestions by Peter P. Jesella, unemployed clinical philosopher, jesella@sonic.net

HR 2206 – 1979 as House bill by then Congressman Paul N.‘Pete’ McCloskey-Menlo Park:

1. The Selective Service System will be replaced by the National Service System and all persons (male and female) will be required to register within 10 days after their 17th birthday.

2. Information on service opportunities (today by way of a Federal Internet Portal Site) will be made available to all persons between their 17th and 18th birthdays.

3. All registrants will have the option of serving in a civilian capacity for one year or in the military service for two years or more, and will be allowed to defer such service until the age of 23.

4. At the age of 18, persons will have the right to elect:

a. Two years of military service, which will entitle them to four years of educational and training benefits paid at the base monthly rate provided to Vietnam-era veterans (those enlisting prior to January 1, 1977; 38 U.S.C. 1651), but adjusted to account for cost-of-living increases since that time;

b. Six months of active duty, followed by five and one-half years of Reserve obligations;

c. One year of service in a civilian capacity; or

d. None of the above, in which case they will be placed in a military lottery pool for six years of draft liability. If military manpower requirements are not filled during this period, these individuals might be required to serve two years of active duty and would also incur a four-year Reserve obligation. They would be entitled to two of educational and training benefits.

5. If voluntary enlistments are not adequate, then and then only would one be subject to possible conscription.

6. The Civilian Service Corps (Americorps) would be operated by a National Youth Service Foundation (Corporation for National and Community Service) as outlined below.

a. A National Youth Service Foundation would be established by law. This would be a quasi-public organization and would receive appropriations from Congress.

b. The Foundation would be operated by a 19-member Board of Trustees with 12 of its members to be appointed by the President, with the advice and consent of the Senate, and the following persons to serve as ex-officio members: The U.S. Commissioner of Education, the Administrator of the Office of Youth Development, the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Employment and Training, the Director of Action, the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service, the Director of the National Park Service, and the Executive Director of the National Youth Service Foundation, who will also be appointed by the President.

c. An Advisory Council would be created to advise the Board of Trustees on broad policy matters. It would have 24 members with at least eight under 27 years of age at the time of appointment.

d. Present federal programs providing opportunities for youth service would remain in effect. These include the Peace Corps, VISTA, Teacher Corps, College Work Study Program, Job Corps, and the various youth programs funded by CETA.

e. The Foundation would invite units of state, regional, and local governments to submit applications, outlining plans for the employment of individuals in National Youth Service activities within specified guidelines. The Foundation would support such applications on the basis of merit.

f. The Civilian Service Corps would have two major options: community service and environmental service. Community service applicants would interview for a wide range of local community service projects sponsored by public agencies or private non-profit organizations. Those who wished to travel in search of community service projects would do so at their own expense and would register with the local National Service System agency, and no special provisions would be made for them.

g. Most sponsors of the environmental service option would be federal, state, or local agencies. Most environmental projects would require travel costs as well as expenditures for supplies and equipment. Such costs would be the responsibility of the sponsor, not of the foundation. When lodging and food were provided by the sponsor, it would be entitled to reimbursement by the grantee from whose jurisdiction the participant was recruited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Participatory Citizenship – Internet Network

jesella@sonic.net Example. www.usafreedomcorps.gov

Philosophical / Policy consideration before the:
Independent Sector 03 Annual Conference

Since 1979, when Congressman Paul N. ‘Pete’ McCloskey, CA proposed the establishment of a large-scale National Service System (HR 2206) to replace the Selective Service System, I have advocated for a public debate over the merits of this philosophical and political change to democracy U.S.A.

On and off for these last 23 years I have called for an Energy Conservation Corps, as an alternative to U.S. military engagement in the Persian Gulf.

What I have found is not disagreement, but near total indifference towards this comprehensive approach towards rebuilding participatory citizenship and democracy in this vast nation of communities called United States.

This “Uncommon vision for the Common Good” needs a national debate in 2004.

I hope you can place your thinking caps on, expand your consciousness, and view this potential Federal law as a real reflection on the phrase, “Think Globally Act Locally”.

As we spend billions of dollars rebuilding democracy in Iraq, please consider the attached material.

This concept of a Participatory Citizenship Internet Network could be the foundation for a much more dynamic effort of common good, and using the Internet for the challenges and complexity of effective accountability, transparency, fiscal challenges, and helping to shape our civil society.

A vibrant democracy does not come without some dissatisfaction but that is always a challenge when asking citizens to become participants rather than only consuming spectators. HR 2206 is the tipping point for renewal!

Attached: Pg 1. Cover statement, replies from White House, Justice Department.

Pg 2-3. Quotes from President Bush on Citizenship service, Clinton W.H. Susan Brophy N.S. & Internet.

Pg 4-6. Questions hand given to General Myers, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Pentagon, H.R. 2206-1979.

Pg 7-8. 5/07/80 Spartan Daily, “Energy Corps Proposed”, 7/09/80 San Jose News, “Youth Corps & Solar Power”.

The White House
WASHINGTON
Dear Mr. Jesella December 16, 2002
On behalf of Counsel to the President Alberto R. Gonzales, thank you for your letter dated November 28, 2002, regarding the Selective Service System and a Participatory Citizenship System. We appreciate receiving your thoughts on this matter and will give your views appropriate consideration.

Thanks again for your letter.

Sincerely, H. Christopher Bartolomucci, Associate Counsel to the President

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Peter P. Jesella U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration
Washington, D.C. 20537 JAN 21 2003

Dear Mr. Jesella:
Thank you for your thoughtful letter regarding national community service. Like you, I believe the future of a free, democratic society depends on the willingness of people to devote some part of their time to serving the interests of the community as a whole.

During a long career in politics and government, I have been impressed by the number of Americans I have met who, without any thought of reward, have contributed their time and talents to community service. It is important to do everything we can to maintain that spirit.

As you requested, I am forwarding your letter and accompanying documentation to our policy staff for their review. I commend you for devoting so much of your time to the cause of participatory citizenship and wish you well in your continuing efforts.
Sincerely Asa Hutchinson, Administrator

------------------------------------------------------------

Secretary Tom Ridge, Department of Homeland Security –
Commonwealth Club CA. July 23, 2003

Q: The Continuity of Government Commission is considering the consequences of a small nuclear attack with WMD on the executive branch and Congress.

How do we prepare the nation for the low-probability but catastrophic event if it were to take place, like 9/11?

A: With the globalization of science and education and travel and commerce, we now know that under ideal circumstances it is a possibility that somewhere down the road a terrorist organization could acquire or make a crude nuclear device.

We know that. You all know that earthquakes can happen out here, and the folks in Florida understand that from time to time there’s a possibility that a hurricane may strike them. There are certain things that we know about the environment within which we live.

And unfortunately, post-9/11, we know there is a possibility that a weapon of mass destruction, and conceivably a crude nuclear device, could be deployed. Let’s accept the reality of that possibility and low probability.

Let’s prioritize as we’ve done within the Department of Homeland Security the kind of detection equipment and some other initiatives that we can undertake now in order to reduce that probability even further.

As we expand our network of partners in the coalition of the war against terrorism, we’re going to have more actors and more information, so that if we do get credible information and discover that somebody somewhere has a device of this kind that could be used against us or any of our allies, we’ll be able to interdict it before its use.

I know that a terrorist attack is maybe not the best comparison with a natural event, but accept the notion that there is a possibility; people prepare for it to the extent they can, go about their lives the way they should, and let the professionals and the folks in the Department of Energy and the military and everybody else worry about detection and interdiction down the road.

Tom Ridge - July 23, 2003

-------------------------------------------------------------

October 16, 2003
General Richard B. Myers, Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
# 2E872 The Pentagon
Washington, D.C. 20318

Peter Jesella
136 Courtyards East Windsor, CA 95492 707 838-9841 jesella@sonic.net

Dear Chairman Myers:

I look forward to hearing your talk, in San Francisco, October 19, before the World Affairs Council, and hope my questions to you are asked.

It is this reason why I am contacting you, to provide you a chance to be aware of my concerns, some of the recent replies from the current Administration and a few from the past.

It would be a great honor if a few seconds would be available for me to shake your hand, wish you the best in these challenging times, and know that you will, like Counsel to the President Alberto R. Gonzales and Asa Hutchinson, Under Secretary Dept. Homeland Secretary, give my views appropriate consideration and to share with the proper policy staff for their review.

I realize that the format of your appearance will be similar to the presentations I witnessed by Deputy Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and Secretary Tom Ridge, that it is unlikely that I will be able to approach you, but if I ask maybe there will be found an exception.

I served in the U.S. Air Force, in the medical field, for four years, thirty years ago I was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB during the Yom Kippur War, and witnessed history in the making, regarding the massive airlift of military hardware to Israel, Defcom 3, B-52 bombers ready to attack the Soviet Union, gasoline lines, the growing power of OPEC, conversation with these B-52 crews as I collected blood from them during a blood drive.

These events made me realize that the Persian Gulf would become a strategic concern for the U.S. supply of commercial oil, but also that our concept of national security would need to change by debating the merits of a decentralized Energy Conservation Corps the equivalent of the can-do attitude found in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Since 1979, I have advocated on and off for legislation introduced into the Congress, by former Marine, Congressman Paul N. ‘Pete’ McCloskey that would have modified the Selective Service System into a National Service System, HR 2206-1979.

At that time I had extensive conversations and writings with my Congressman Norm Mineta, about my deep fears of the U.S. going to war in the Persian Gulf, he was not very supportive, letter attached to this fax. Current Secretary of Transportation.

In April 1983 President Reagan asked the Department of Defense to response to my concerns about Congressman Panetta’s bill to establish Select Commission on National Service, and I received the enclosed letter from Lawrence J. Korb, Assistant secretary of Defense for Manpower, Reserve Affairs, and Logistics, who indicated to me,

“Defense Department is concerned that voluntary service programs might compete with military recruiting. The seriousness of such civilian voluntary service programs and the participation rate on the part of young men and women will be affected by the compensation and benefits offered.

The proposed legislation does not address the impact that these programs might have on military recruiting.

While, due to the above factors, we do not support the enactment of the proposed legislation, be assured of our commitment to the goals outlined in your letter of creating the psychological/political climate that will allow for a comprehensive movement towards obtaining a balance in appropriations and revenue.”

Letter included in this fax, and I also include a letter from former Director of the CIA William Colby from 1982,

“hope that your efforts to communicate the importance of this matter are well received in the circles which are able to make the needed moves ahead on this important subject.”

Today I read over the Internet from ABC News, “Morale is really important because it’s the people who get the job done,” said Joint Chiefs of Staff General Richard Myers, “We often focus on the high-tech piece of our business, and the equipment and so forth. But in the end, it’s the individual soldier, sailor, Marine, Coast Guardsmen that make the difference.” Myers said.

I believe that the morale in this nation could be improved, that rebuilding democracy in Iraq is a noble goal, but rebuilding participatory citizenship and democracy in the United States is a national imperative.

I ask you to again look at Congressman McCloskey’s legislation with modifications for the 21s Century.

Such a program could be lean, effective, and accountable by making the most use of the Internet technology that is now being developed for increased productivity in this nation, increased national security in this nation.

The key “psychological/political climate” that this legislation would create as law, and why it needs to be considered a modification to the Selective Service System is that it will require a national debate over the need for mandatory registration program, but with clear understanding that it is still a volunteer participation be it in active military service, reserve duty, community service, or civilian reserve duty.

The key to this legislation was having both males and females register at 17, be encouraged to think, explore, and discuss their role as future voting-age citizens, and at 18 indicate any interest in volunteering for these various programs.

Of coarse military service, and other challenging activities like forest fire fighting should have sufficient compensation compared to other important but less threatening activities like working with gangs.

I hope you can review this letter, look forward to your speech, and the possibility saying hello.

I am sorry for the late arrival of this material, but in December 2002 I wrote to you and about 50 other Pentagon military and civilian officials, and got two replies one from the Selective Service System, copy included in the fax, and one from DARPA, which acknowledged my interesting proposal, but I have misplaced this letter. You and all the civilian officials in the DOD that I contacted did not reply.

Thank you for your time and attention to my concerns in your very bush life,
To A Better Future, Peter P. Jesella

Included in fax:
12/13/2002 Selective Service System, Richard S. Flahaven
12/16/2002 White House Counsel to the President, H. Christopher Bartolomucci
01/21/2003 U.S. Department of Justice, Asa Hutchinson
04/18/1983 Assist. Sec. Defense, Manpower Reserve Affairs and Logistics, Lawrence J. Korb
01/19/1982 Former Director of the CIA, William E. Colby
12/20/2002 Director of the Peace Corps, Gaddi H. Vasquez
1979-1980 One page outline of HR 2206, “The National Service Act”, 81-82 HR 1730.
1981? Two pages from Congressional Budget Office on cost and numbers.
01/15/2003 FEMA, Director Joe M. Allbaugh
08/11/1980 FEMA, John W. McKay, Director Intergovernmental and Consumer Affairs
09/19/1979 Congressman Norman Y. Mineta, current Secretary of Transportation
03/05/1980 Department of Energy, James S. Kane, Assoc. Director for Basic Energy Sciences
05/07/1980 Spartan Daily, San Jose State University, Student’s Alternative to War, Energy Corps Proposed.
07/09/1980 San Jose News, 2 goals: Youth Corps and solar power.

Total 17 pages faxed, sorry for the clutter, and unorganized presentation.
---------------------------------------------------------
Strait of Hormuz Entrance to Persian Gulf Oil

Iraq try for islands vetoed by, Oman©

October 6th, 1980 Courtesy of the San Jose Mercury News

LONDON (UPI) - Iraq dropped plans to capture three tiny but strategically Important Iranian islands in the Strait of Hormuz just a few hours before the attack last week because Oman withdrew its full support, British military sources said Monday.

Iraqi helicopters already had flown troops across the Persian Gulf to Oman and were poised to pounce from there on the three islands from which the flow of oil tankers through the strait - carrying 40 per cent of Western imports - can be controlled.

The sources said frantic diplomatic efforts were made by Britain to get Sultan Qaboos bin Said to make the Iraqis change their minds about the raid, which could have expanded the war to one of the most strategically sensitive areas in the world.

The islands were taken over by the late Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi of Iran in 1971. Their return to Arab control was one of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's three announced goals when he launched his attack on Iran three weeks ago.

--------------------------
April 8th, 2004 - I could add a lot more comments and documents, but it seems that it does not matte. People want simple easy solutions that they do not need to participate in, people want to complain rather than take long-term effective action to address many of the social-political-economic-environmental challenges in our society today, with simple solutions. Well reader there are no simple solutions, and it will take the creative talent of millions of American in their local communities to help turn things around. I hope you can support my efforts towards creating a national debate, a evolutionary debate over the merits of the tipping point, this wake up call to America and each new generation.

To A Better Future, Peter Jesella
I grow tired sharing and getting many many blank stares from those I communicate with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Except where otherwise noted, the textual content of each timeline is licensed under the Creative Commons License below:

Creative Commons License Home |  About this Site |  Development |  Donate |  Contact Us
Terms of Use