Welcome to the Center for Cooperative Research forum. This forum is intended to enable additional collaboration and facilitate the sharing of information, which is what this site is all about. Any questions / suggestions / criticisms regarding the site in general are also welcome.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Kuwait Slant Drilling
Posted by: J (IP Logged)
Date: October 11, 2003 08:29AM

I have heard that Iraq invaded Kuwait because the U.S. and it were working togather on a project to drill diagonally (slant drilling) into Iraq's oil supply. I have also heard that the Saddam told the U.S. that he was going to invade Kuwait and the U.S. told him it was okay. I would like to know if anyone can find out if these are true.

Options: Reply To This MessageQuote This MessageReport This Message
Re: Kuwait Slant Drilling
Posted by: mike (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2003 02:02AM

Both of these issues are actually dealt with on this site.

Search this site for drilling and you'll see some references regarding the slant-drilling. The sources aren't the greatest, so if you find any more information regarding this then post it here.

Regarding the US telling him it was okay, look under the First Gulf War section. The US ambassador might have not exactly said 'go ahead and invade', however it appears he in any case gave him the 'green light' in not saying that it was not ok to invade.

Posted by: Rob (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2003 02:37AM

If you were truly informed about these matters you would have known that US ambassador Gillespie was a woman - i.e. a "she" - and that she may have been clumsy in her reply but did not knowingly gave a green light as you suggest (the transcripts of the conversation with Saddam are publicly available). Finally slant drilling is truly a joke : in an area where drilling oil is the cheapest in the world, because it is so easily reached, why would anybody in his right mind spend any money to drill at an angle for many miles into Iraqi territory ? Use better arguments please.

Posted by: lea (IP Logged)
Date: November 28, 2003 04:14AM

I too read that Iraqi invasion was "green-lighted". Theres a section regarding this in John Pilger`s book "distant voices". More interesting are the numerous bribes and payoffs received by U.N members from the USA, so that they would not veto the UN resolution to take military action. Those that did Veto, got a right kicking financially by the WTO, World Bank etc, Yemen suffered particularly badly, having WTO loans "withdrawn" post veto. What can you say...........??

Posted by: Don (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2004 03:35PM

I recall an article in Time magazine BEFORE the first Iraq war which had
illustrations of the slant drilling by Kuwait into Iraq.

Goto: Forum ListMessage ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.